Rick Lawrence – Digital Media Officer
My role at RAMM focuses on providing visitors, researchers and online audiences with museum content and fostering a culture where staff actively participate in digital publishing and broadcasting.
I provide a source of knowledge, skills and experience to support our online products, digital support for exhibitions, events, projects and funding bids. I also regularly work with volunteers plus academic, creative industries, national and international and museum partners.
My work includes both the day to day service delivery and our work as a National Portfolio Organisation.
Based in the Collections Team I work closely with curators on knowledge management, collections data and images, funding bids, projects and digital creation. Additionally I ensure our digital collections link with external bodies such as the Collections Trust, The Museums Association and Europeana.
Phone: 01392 265303
Address: Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Queen Street, Exeter EX4 3RX
I completed a BA Hons in Ancient History and Archaeology from The University of Manchester in 1981. I worked in various fields but always with technology in one form or another. After working on Internet technologies and e-communications projects for the Department for Work and Pensions for over ten years I decided on a career change. Through volunteering on collections with the National Trust and other heritage volunteering, plus studying part time for a Postgraduate Certificate in Archaeology and Heritage Management from the University of Exeter, awarded in 2009, I escaped the civil service for the world of museums.
I joined RAMM in 2008 to implement it’s online presence project. This included the museum website, revamped Exeter Time Trail and World Cultures websites. I led on software interactives in the 2008 – 2012 redevelopment and created RAMM’s social media channels to raise the museum’s profile.
Current and past projects
- Public Renaissance – HERA funded cultural heritage project 2019 to present
- A Place in Time Project – lead on Exeter in Minecraft 2015 to present
- Google Cultural Institute and RAMM’s Collections – lead 2014 to present
- GIFT project – a research project funded by the EU’s Horizon 2020 research programme 2016-19
- Museums Association Conference 2018 – Presented a seminar on Gamifying the museum: putting collections into videogames with Dr Sofia Romualdo
- Museums Association Conference 2017 – Presented a session on Designing user-friendly websites with Helen Burbage
- A Million Pictures – magic lanterns slides project 2015-18
- REACT Collaborative PhD Studentships – workplace supervisor 2012-2019
- New Expressions 3
- Leadership and Excellence Conference 2014
- Digital lead for RAMM’s Research Collection project to engage researchers with the collections 2014
- Moor Stories 2012-17
- Exeter Time Trails 2013
- RAMM Collections Explorer – 2012 to present
- South West Collections Explorer – 2013 to present
- Masters of the Moor
- New Expressions 2
- Exeter Time Trail 2009 to present
- World Cultures Online 2009 to present
- RAMM website and social media channels 2009, 2016 redevelopment and ongoing