The easiest way to discover the geological heritage of your area is to go for a walk. Sea cliffs, building sites and quarries are excellent places to explore.
The rocks beneath your feet are an irreplaceable and finite resource that has uses in science, industry, education and recreation. Collecting fossils and minerals is an essential active contribution to our understanding of our planet. Everyone, however, should ensure that the Earth's heritage is kept safe and survives for future generations. Help us to protect the rocky past of Devon !
Some essentials of collecting rocks, minerals and fossils:
- Be safe. Wear protective clothes and a helmet if necessary.
- Seek permission. Make sure you are allowed to collect.
- Collect responsibly. Do not damage any outcrops and landforms and record what you find and where.
- Label. Record any details you know about each specimen.
- Seek advice. Contact your local museum for identification and further advice.
- Preserve. Look after your collection and store safely. Consider donating your finds to a museum to preserve it for future generations.