Exhibiting with RAMM
RAMM receives a great many proposals, from across the UK and overseas and every one is discussed by the team. This process takes time and means we are not able to accommodate every artist or exhibition idea. This page is a guide for those interested in exhibiting at RAMM.
Background to programming
RAMM’s exhibition programme is committed two years or more in advance. As a public museum and art gallery our temporary exhibitions cover all disciplines, including antiquities, art, natural history and world cultures. RAMM also has a commitment to present changing displays of the museum’s collection of over one million objects. Some exhibitions have been in planning for several years, often in partnership with many other organisations.
The Programming Team involves colleagues from across RAMM and meets every two months. The Programming Team considers internal ideas, external proposals and future partnership commitments. In addition, RAMM’s independent Contemporary Arts Panel meets every five months. Some proposals submitted are referred to the Panel for discussion and comment .
RAMM’s ambitions are to support Exeter’s economic development and cultural tourism through:
- Innovation, originality and diversity of programming
- Relevance to local communities
- Partnerships, nationally and regionally
RAMM has a small budget to support exhibitions. All proposals must indicate how they will be funded, or which partners have been approached for funds. Most temporary exhibitions that RAMM has hosted, originated or toured in, are funded with support from external sources.
Please try to keep proposals to 400 words or less or approximately two sides of A4 and include the following information:
- Project / exhibition title
- Content outline of the exhibition, anticipated audience and any ideas for learning/event opportunities.
- A description of how your proposal meets the guiding principles.
- Please enclose no more than 10 images and supporting leaflets. These should be in hard copy or on disc (CD). Please note we cannot accept USB sticks.
- Indicate the approximate size of your exhibition (linear metres / feet, or approximate floor area) including space for interpretive material.
- Indicate how many items or works you are proposing to exhibit, an indication of the average size of each work and whether you require display cases for any material.
- Dates (if touring – available dates, bearing in mind our existing commitments are up to two years ahead).
- Project funding sources and costs (including details of funding applications) and any partners involved in the project.
Please post or email proposals to Kate Loubser (Exhibitions Officer) or Carmen Marin (Exhibitions Officer), RAMM Offices, Bradninch Place, Gandy Street, EXETER EX4 3LS. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our criteria for considering proposals from local artists
RAMM’s Management Team has agreed a set of criteria and a process for considering proposals from local artists. Please take the time to look at the document – Position Statement for Exhibiting Work by Local Artists.